Skill level: Beginner
Best wind direction: NE, E, ESE
Great for winter kiting on NE, E and ESE winds on the inside of the bay at the southeast part of the Ocean Shores peninsula. It’s a beginner friendly spot on mid to low tide with long sandy beach though be careful with on-shore winds. High tide increases launching/landing hazards: due to no beach watch for rocks, logs, bushes & proximity of the rock jetty. Most of the time it’s a smooth wind and fairly flat water kiting. If the wind turns too southerly it gets holey and gusty on the inside. Walk over to the south shore of the peninsula for kiting some waves on southerly winds. (Waves aren’t for beginners though.)
It blows primarily early in the morning and dies off early afternoon though on occasion it’s windy all day long. If Tatoosh Is and Columbia River Bar sensors on iKitesurf show easterly in high teens or better and Hoquiam sensor registers east in low teens you are likely to get 20+ mph wind at Damon. Grays Harbor Shore Conditions Information Line (360 268 1444) would give you most accurate update, but unfortunately tide and weather information is currently unavailable. All-n-all it’s a fun place with a bathroom at the parking lot to change out of the wind.
The campground right there has a boat launch and easy walk to the kite launch areas. Great for RV with hookups, not very nice for tenting. It rarely fills up except summer holiday weekends. Almost deserted any time but summer.
The bathroom with showers at the site is NOT a public restroom. It is for the private campground and is maintained by the owner. However, we are on good terms with the owner (his name is Tom). Watching kiteboarders is great entertainment for his guests. If you do need/want to use the restroom, please hose off sand with the outside hose at the office building. Introduce yourself to Tom. Always be courteous. Frequent DP riders have asked that we do a little more and drop a few $$ at the office drop box.
Driving Directions from Seattle (Approximate driving time: 2.5 hours)
1. Head South on I-5 to Olympia
2. At Olympia take Exit 104 (towards Aberdeen & Ocean beaches) Hwy. 101 North
3. Stay on main highway. It turns into Hwy. 8 West. Then, at Elma, it changes into Hwy. 12 West
4. Upon reaching Aberdeen, follow the signs that take you to Hwy. 101 North – to Hoquiam and Ocean beaches. DO NOT TAKE THE WESTPORT TURN
5. You should be in the left lane as you cross the Hoquiam bridge. Bear right and then turn left at the second traffic light onto Hwy. 109 (Ocean Shores and Ocean beaches)
6. After approximately 18 miles, turn left onto Hwy. 115 (Oyehut/Ocean Shores)
7. Highway 115 turns into Damon Rd. as you curve to the right. Turn left into Ocean Shores – through the stone gates.
8. Once you hit town stay on Point Brown Ave until you cross Ocean Shores and approach south end of the peninsula.
9. Point Brown Ave SE will curve right and will become Discovery Ave SE.
10. Go for approximately a quarter mile and as Discovery Ave curves right again (heading west) make a left turn onto a short road that will bring you to a parking lot.
It is your responsability to check whether kitesurfing is allowed at the spot; you might need a 'special permit' or membership from a local kite organization, etc. Local rules can change. Respect others - kiters or not; kite safely and enjoy the wind!
- Windy days*:
- Wind Direction:
- Av. Wind Speed (knts):
- Kite Season:
- Av. Temperature:
* with min. 4 bft (12 knt) wind, without thermal wind stats
Don't see your offer here? Add your kite school!
Kite Schools, Gear Rental & Repair
Don't see your kite hub here? Add your kite school!
Nearby Accommodation Location
Be sure to travel abroad with a travel/medical insurance that covers kitesurfing activity. More →